SEO Is Search Engine Optimization
What good is your beautiful website if there is no traffic coming to it? How do you get people to visit your website? The answer: Get your website ranked on the first page of the search engine results.
We have been ranking websites on the first page of the search engine results for years. We do it for our own privately owned sites as well as for our clients. Let’s explain what it’s all about.
When people search for information about your business, they will almost always start their search on Google, Yahoo or Bing. Whether they are searching from a Smartphone or laptop, they almost always start with a search engine – and Google is the most popular one by far. Bing is growing market share each month also.
How Do You Get To The Top Of Google’s Search Results?
There are a handful of strategies for getting websites ranked high in search engine results. The art and science of getting websites to rank well in the search engines is called “search engine optimization” or SEO for short.
What Does Google Want From Your Website?
It’s important to learn what Google wants in order to get your website listed at the top of the search results. Basically there are 2 core items: on-page SEO and off-page SEO.
On-Page SEO Is A Critical Factor. On-Page SEO means “the stuff on your website.” It sounds so simple, but it is absolutely complex. Here are the factors that comprise on-page SEO:
- use of keywords in headings and content
- use of relevant content (also known as latent semantic indexing)
- internal linking to other pages on your site
- the ‘silo’ structure of your website
- the frequency of posting new, relevant content
- the ‘proper’ use of images
- ‘Social’ signals (ie, correlating with Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Google Plus Local, etc.)
- use of videos
- ‘User Engagement’ – how well does your site ‘engage’ your visitors? Usually measured by the length of time they spend on your site and how many pages they visit.
Off-Page SEO Is The Other Critical Ranking Factor. This means that there are things NOT on your website that can actually impact how well your website ranks in the search engines. Here is a list of off-page SEO factors that have significant impact:
- Backlinks (links from other websites that point to your website) – but BE CAREFUL because not all backlinks are created equal!
- Videos on YouTube and other video hosting sites with links back to your website
- Social media links from Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and other sites play an important role also
SEO can get complicated – fast. There are also things that you must ABSOLUTELY AVOID doing, or else the search engines will penalize your website. Such as:
- Do NOT ‘over’ optimize for any specific keywords in headings or in your content
- Do NOT employ excessive backlinks on totally irrelevant sites
- No ‘Keyword Stuffing’ on any of your pages
- Do NOT employ excessive backlinks on sites with PageRank of zero or ‘N/A’
- Do NOT get caught with backlinks from certain types of blog networks or article directories
- Do NOT use the same keyword for backlinks – USE keyword variations for backlinks
- Do NOT use the same content on multiple pages
Google Changes The Rules Often
Have you been hit by the Google Panda Update? What about the Google Penguin Update? Just when you think you’ve got it down to a science, Google goes and changes the rules about how to rank well in their search engine. That’s the way of life on the Internet. But the bottom line is this: Google wants to rank the most relevant websites at the top of their search results.
Relax. We’re Professionals.
We’ve been doing search engine optimization since the late 1990′s. And although the rules have changed over the years, one thing remains consistent – make your website more relevant than your competitors and you will rank higher than they do.
We have several strategies for ranking your website higher in the search engine results, and we can deliver results – often in 60 – 90 days.